Guest Post: Poise Bladder Support Review or How I Stopped Peeing Myself When Weightlifting

There are things in life that many women don’t want to talk about so we suffer in silence and just deal with some of the unpleasantness of being a woman. Specifically, both women who have given birth or women who reach their early 40s or 50s can have a problem with bladder control. I’m not talking about incontinence; I’m talking about those annoying leaks that happen when you run or jump or deadlift. The leaks that happen with either sudden force or serious core pressure needed for big lifts. You can do Kegels until the cows come home, but sometimes that just isn’t enough and leaks still happen. It’s embarrassing and frustrating and makes you want to not do those activities even more.

I would always make sure to empty my bladder before big lifts and wear a panty liner just in case because usually even if there was a leak, it wasn’t that significant. However, it became evident that this was something I needed to address when I went to a trampoline park. I was an embarrassed mess in short order even though I made sure to pee before I jumped. Within the first 5 minutes of bouncing it was disastrous. No one could tell, but I was mortified and vowed that if I couldn’t get this under control, I was never going again. I didn’t want to wear those bulky incontinence pads because I’m only 46, I’m in great shape and I wasn’t ready to feel like a granny.

Then I saw these in the store and went… hmm, why not try them? They are little insertable plastic frameworks covered in a safe cloth that helps to support the bladder during jarring movements.



I decided that I needed to experiment to see how well they worked. They start out with a sizing package to see how much control you need. I tried the smallest size first and had absolutely no issues while weightlifting and running! The real test however, was going to be at the trampoline park. I started wearing the smallest with one of the bulky pads just to check and brought more pads and the other sizes just in case. The smallest failed within minutes so off to the bathroom and new pad, and insert a size 2. That one also failed within minutes and at this point I’m getting discouraged. The size 2 I was able to actually feel inside me which is really distracting. Finally, another pad change and on to the largest size 3. This one was actually uncomfortable to wear and although it didn’t fail fully, there were some minor leaks that a panty liner would hold.


Experiments over, here are my personal takeaways. First, for anything other than super crazy bouncing, these work like a charm and are comfortable and give me peace of mind in the gym or on a run. For bouncing, although the largest did finally work, it was too uncomfortable and made me hyper aware of what I was doing. I honestly think that for me, the bulky pad was a better option as it allowed the same freedom of motion without the discomfort. Your mileage with these may vary but other than going crazy on a trampoline for hours, these are definitely worth my time and money.

Tina
akaTrainer's Girlfriend
aka His biggest pain in the butt client

No comments :

Post a Comment